The Permanent Court of International Justice was expressly provided for in the League of Nations Covenant (Article XIV) of 1919 and the "Statute" creating it was drafted by an advisory committee of the League, meeting at the Hague, and opened for signature in the following year. By 1921 the ratifications of twenty-eight states put it into effect and the Court was formally opened, with a full quorum of judges, on February 15 (Bentham's birthday) 1922. For nearly twenty years it continued to function and its sessions were suspended only by the presence of the Nazi invaders of the Netherlands.
C. S. Lobingier,
WHAT OF THE WORLD COURT NOW?,
Mich. L. Rev.
Available at: https://repository.law.umich.edu/mlr/vol43/iss5/2