The physical plant of the University of Michigan Law School is probably more closely associated with one individual than any other legal institution in the world. This completely organized and equipped unit for the teaching and training of students and lawyers for the practice of law and research in legal science was donated to the University of Michigan by William W. Cook, an 1882 graduate.
Among his several benefactions to the University, Mr. Cook provided funds to endow the William W. Cook Lectureship on American Institutions, which is devoted to the dissemination of sound principles concerning the basic concepts of American life.
Sugar, Bert R., "Michigan… The Life of the Law" (1958). Miscellaneous Law School Publications.