The Law Quadrangle, the gift of graduate William W. Cook, was built in the 1930's. Only two renovations have been made to the Quadrangle since that time: the underground Allan F. and Alene Smith Library addition and the four stories of library stacks. It now has become necessary to add additional space to accommodate people and their activities in a way that the original buildings cannot. To that end, the Law School is planning for additional facilities and is working with architect Renzo Piano to reflect the historical heritage while simultaneously embracing current and future need. Planning for the new facilities has been centered in the Law School's Building committee, chaired by Rebecca S. Eisenberg, the Robert and Barbara Luciano Professor of Law. In the following interview, Eisenberg discusses the need for a new building and considerations that go into planning for it.
University of Michigan Law School,
A Conversation with Professor Eisenberg,
Law Quadrangle (formerly Law Quad Notes)
Available at: https://repository.law.umich.edu/lqnotes/vol48/iss1/4