Document Type


Publication Date



When one parent is charged with child neglect or abuse under MCL 712A.2(b)and the other parent is not an active participant in the abuse, is absent, or is not part of the same household, what process is due the second parent?' If the second parent comes forward and asks for custody, should he or she be able to get it, absent a finding of neglect or abuse as to that parent? Or is the child a ward of the Family Court, based on the misconduct or maltreatment of one parent so that the second parent is subject to the court's orders even though there are no charges made or proven against him or her?


Reproduced with permission.