On October 3, 1959, the law school of the University of Michigan will have completed a hundred years of functioning existence. A century earlier, on October 3, 1859, James Valentine Campbell delivered an address On the Study of the Law at the Presbyterian Church in Ann Arbor, officially opening the law department.
Elizabeth Gaspar Brown. "The Law School of the University of Michigan: 1859 - 1959." Mich. St. B. J. 38, no. 8 (1959): 16-28.