The court house of Sangamon county, Illinois, is situated in the center of a block or square, known as Lincoln Square, in the city of Springfield. The building is of architectural beauty and great historical interest, the corner stone having been laid in 1837 and the building used as the Capitol building for the state of Illinois until 1876. The buildings on the four sides of the Square were all two or more stories in height until January, 1926, when a three- story building, located on the north-east corner of the Square was practically destroyed by fire. The owners planned to erect a one-story building on the site which was to be used as a retail cigar store.

Included in

Land Use Law Commons